Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Charm of a ‘Dive Bar’

Maybe it is because I am from a small town, but there’s something about finding a good dive bar that can make you feel at home; maybe a little dingy, a little smelly, a little quirky, but home. I guess home is a place you feel safe, a place you feel comfortable and a place you spend many nights; a dive bar in many ways is just that.

Burt's Tiki Lounge - Albuquerque, New Mexico- Photo Credit:  http://bit.ly/1hcGTxN

How I define a ‘dive bar’ is a little darker than you’d like, random d├ęcor, maybe regrettable photos of patrons on the walls, a woman’s bra that was found after a crazy night, the smell of old alcohol settled into the nooks and crannies of the building, and bathrooms that challenge your leg muscles. There are always regulars and the bartenders know people by name, they recognize you by embarrassing moments; the drinks aren’t too expensive and the price varies upon the bartender’s mood; there might be a jukebox or a low budget DJ, and the dress code includes shoes and a shirt.

Jack's Cannery Bar in Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco- Photo Credit: http://bit.ly/184dWuu

I find it all quite charming, weird smells and all (to an extent). I started my night-life out in Truckee, Ca where I turned 21-years-old. Well, there are not a lot of options when it comes to night life in Truckee. I quickly found my niche, my night time home, my social arena, and in Truckee, it was the Pastime Club. The Pastime Club is a place you can feel safe about going alone. The locals tend to hang out there; understandably with good vibes and cheap drinks, they know how to keep their customers happy. Five years later I can go back to that bar and recognize some of the same people, the bartenders and the same laid-back vibe. To me, that makes it a great dive bar.

 The Pastime Club- Photo Credit: http://on.fb.me/1fdVq80

With my head back in “dive bar” mode, I am craving a little quirkiness. My favorite thing about a dive bar is the people. I smile upon the nights that somehow I remember; the little place to escape to where you always know someone’s face. The search for my favorite dive bar in Sacramento begins...

6 comments:

  1. i gotta check oit burts tiki lounge in mexico.. sound like a bar/home. im all about dive bars nd having a good time without getting too crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who doesn't love a good dive bar. I hope to learn about many more. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Wow i really love this site! Each individual spot has its own adventure. i cant wait to see what else is in store! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot count the number of dive bars I played music in when you were a child, I unfortunately was one of those special boys who , got there to early and left by 4 am dragging out the last of the band equipment. It became home to me, I had many friends that I made, by getting there early and leaving early in the morning so often it damn near killed me, oh yea, it did kill me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. now this is gonna be some great stuff to read about I love a good dive bar and i need to make a trip to San Fran to have this fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do need to come to San Fran and we will discover new dive bars and get our blog on!

      Delete